Boost your Brain in 3 months
One of the most common complaints I see in clinic is that people are worried about their memory, focus and concentration. Often this begins with simple things such as forgetting where you put your mobile phone, car keys, not knowing why you went into a room until you retrace your steps to where you were when you had the thought. There can also be difficulty recalling someone’s name even though you know them very well, or forgetting words, losing your train of thought during presentations or conversations.
Another extremely common complaint relates to mood swings and a lack of motivation which are not usually recognized as health problems unless they become serious, but they certainly affect our quality of life.
All these symptoms are often brushed off as ‘signs of stress’, but if your working life requires you to negotiate with or on behalf of clients, build rapport with prospects, have the mental agility to argue a case or close a deal, then these little tell-tale signs need to be addressed sooner rather than later because they are not self-rectifying if your workload and stress levels stay the same.
Cognitive decline is commonly put down to ‘stress’ but in terms of functional medicine we look at neurotransmiters and how well they are functioning, which is why the tests in this programme relate to the blood-brain barrier, gut function, organic acids and hormone levels.
Functional medicine is an excellent way to identify what is happening behind-the-scenes in your body so that the Boost Your Brain Plan s personalized to meet your needs. Annual testing can help keep symptoms at bay by spotting the warning signs early on and thereby reduce cognitive decline and slow ‘the ageing process’ that is precipitated by high levels of stress.
At 360 Health Consultancy, our approach is to break this down into 4 simple steps as you will see below.
3-month Restorative Plan
Your Functional Health Score devised by the Institute for Functional Medicine is an assessment of the extent to which your symptoms are affecting your daily life. You will be taken through a series of questions and the answers will be submitted to me so I can calculate your score out of 200. An ideal score is less than 15 so the higher your score, the more benefit you would get from professional intervention rather than trying to manage everything yourself.
You are welcome to check your health score for FREE anytime by clicking this button. If you decide to become a regular client, I will keep a log of your scores each month and we will be able to measure the effects of the interventions to ensure you are getting the results you need. Please note that you will need to complete this quiz on a laptop or desktop computer as it is not yet compatible with phones or tablets.
Step 1: Causality Investigations
When you have been accepted as a client, you will be invited to complete 3 questionnaires as part of the initial investigations. The more detail you can provide in these crucial early steps, the better, so you may need to save your answers and come back to it later hen you have found out more dates or inforamtion.
in addition to being asked about your own health history, it is helpful (although not essential) if you can obtain information from your parents about their health when you were conceived, how your Mum was during the pregnancy, whether you were breast fed, what childhood illnesses you had, what conditions run in the family etc. This helps me to understand your heath during your early formative years because it could be that your current symptoms have been developing behind the scenes for a long time.
These 3 questionnaires will need to be completed on a desktop or laptop computer rather than your mobile device or tablet.
Step 2: One hour detailed Consultation
Memory, focus and concentration are impacted by the body’s ability to detoxify itself adequately from environmental toxins, internally generated inflammation from diet, exercise (over-exercise), stress and hormonal imbalance. In addition, there are certain bio-chemical pathways that must be functioning optimally, but they can only do so in the presence of certain chemicals which can, of course, only be derived from our food – what other way is there to replenish the supply!
For this reason, the tests in this programme include gut function, metabolic and methylation tests. All of these can be done at home using simple stool and urine samples.
Step 3: Test, don't Guess
Because there are many different causes of irritable bowel syndrome, I include three basic tests to identify where to break the cycle. All tests can be done at home, one is a 3-day stool sample to measure your body’s ability to absorb nutrients from your food and get it to where it needs to be. Two urine tests are done, one to measure the nutrient levels in your body and the other to measure sensitivity to 190 common foods. Find out more by clicking on each tab.
The Comprehensive Organix Profile report is generated from an overnight urine sample that is easy to collect yet provides extremely valuable clinical information. This is an in-depth specialist investigation into the cellular biochemical activity in the body providing insight into several major metabolic areas:
- Malabsorption and Dysbiosis Markers
- Cellular Energy & Mitochondrial Markers
- Vitamin Markers
- Neurotransmitter Metabolites
- Toxin & Detoxification Markers
- Oxalate Markers
Several diseases are associated with abnormal organic acid levels including but not limited to:
- Cardiovascular disease
- Neurocognitive decline
- Forgetting appointments and dates.
- Forgetting recent conversations and events.
- Feeling increasingly overwhelmed by making decisions and plans.
- Having a hard time understanding directions or instructions.
- Losing your sense of direction.
- Losing the ability to organize tasks.
- Becoming more impulsive.
- Anorexia or weight gain (weight management issues)
This is the most personalized approach to tailoring a treatment towards improving your cognitive health in terms of memory, focus and concentration that you can have
This is a very detailed 12-page report looking at how your digestive system is functioning. This test looks for maldigestion, inflammation (the main cause of chronic disease), dysbiosis (the balance of good vs bad bacteria which is particularly important for anyone who has been on antibiotics), metabolic imbalance and infection. In each of these 5 categories, your body is ranked 1-10 on whether there is a low need for support, a moderate need or a high need for support right away.
Anti-Inflammatory Food Plan
Managing your diet to improve your cognitive function in terms of memory, focus and concentration, we need to break it down into two stages. The first is a detoxification diet to eliminate any inflammatory triggers in the brain and gut. The second phase will depend on your lab test results but may be either an anti-inflammatory diet, an elimination diet or a mitochondrial support diet.
All diets will be necessarily rich in antioxidant food which is necessary for removing the toxins produced from stress so that we can slow the physical as well as the mental ageing process.
All our diet plans are interactive online menus that can be amended to include your favourite recipes and eliminate foods you prefer to avoid. You will be able to see the menu plan for either 3 or 5 days of the up-coming week and you cnan generate a shopping list to print off so you buy only the ingredients you need. All the recipes are straightforward and do not require any particular skill.
Because most of my clients have limited time, I have included slow cooker recipes that can be cooked ahead and frozen in portions so you can still eat well on the days you do not have time to cook.
Advantages of Partnering with Simone
- No more ‘going it alone‘ and trying lots of therapies that don’t seem to work. Simone will be your Partner from Discovery to Recovery. I will not only recommend which tests and therapies may work for you, but I will discourage you from wasting money on unnecessary or inappropriate treatments.
- No more wondering what to eat and whether you will regret it later! Our meal plans are in-depth and tailored to meet your needs so that foods can be eliminated then reintroduced gradually once your gut lining has healed.
- Reduce the need for medication such as omeprazole! your body is trying to tell you something and it is NOT that you have a deficiency of drugs! Let’s get to the bottom of why you have acid reflux in the first place!
- No more repeating your symptoms and history to every health practitioner you meet. Our online portal will have a timeline of your health history, any interventions, diet plans, exercise plans and other relevant information needed. If you choose to share this with your healthcare team, Simone will co-ordinate a strategy of ‘joined-up-thinking’ with your other healthcare providers so we can all work together for your wellbeing and the best possible outcome.
- All our consultations are done online to relieve you of the stress and exhaustion of going out to your appointments.
- You have access to my calendar so you can book or reschedule appointments for your convenience.
- All the recommended tests are non-invasive which means that no blood draw is needed.
- The testing kits are sent to you at home for your convenience, then collected by courier when you are ready.
- Simone will identify trends that have developed year-on-year by creating a functional medicine timeline to see what has got you to this point in your health journey, then adding to the timeline each year giving you continuity of care and giving us the ability to spot ‘trends’ in your health with a view to identify potential warning signs early.
- No more confusion, isolation and lack of hope. Simone will help you fully understand the root causes of your health problems so that you will be empowered to make lifestyle and eating habits that will help you turn a corner towards a happier, healthier future where you will be able to reach your full potential without being held back by worsening chronic health problems.