Annual Health Check
Everyone knows that prevention is better than cure, yet taking time out for medical appointments is often one of those things that we’ll ‘get around to’. So I have made things much faster and easier for you! With this package you simply book in for an online health check with me, complete some questionnaires and I will send you home-testing kits that you can do at your convenience. Our courier will then come and collect them at a time you specify, then I will be in touch with the results. Finally, I will then send you a detailed report including the lab reports and my recommendations for an appropriate diet plan, any supplements that are indicated for short term use and any other guidance that is appropriate.
What is the Health Score?
Your Functional Health Score devised by the Institute for Functional Medicine is an assessment of the extent to which your symptoms are affecting your daily life. You will be taken through a series of questions and the answers will be submitted to me so I can calculate your score out of 200. An ideal score is less than 15 so the higher your score, the more benefit you would get from professional intervention rather than trying to manage everything yourself.
You are welcome to check your health score for FREE anytime by clicking this button. If you decide to become a regular client, I will keep a log of your scores each month and we will be able to measure the effects of the interventions to ensure you are getting the results you need. Please note that you will need to complete this quiz on a laptop or desktop computer as it is not yet compatible with phones or tablets.
How will the lab tests help?
Broadly speaking, we want the answers to 4 questions:
- How well is your body adapting physiologically to stress? Stress hormones have a direct effect on all other hormones and body systems, particularly digestion, fertility, sleep, energy levels weight management, clarity of thought etc.
- Are you getting enough sleep for your body to heal, renew and build resilience? If you don’t wake up feeling refreshed, then why not?
- Are you getting the right nutrients from your diet for all your systems to function optimally at a cellular level?
- Is you body able to effectively process those nutrients and get then to where they are needed for all the systems (immune, cardio-vascular, reproductive, respiratory etc) to function optimally?
What are the Lab Tests and how do I do them?
The tests I have included here do not require a blood draw. They are simple stool, saliva and urine samples that you can do at home, although I’m just at the end of the line if you need advice on how to do it! The testing kits will be sent directly to your home with very clear instructions, then when you are ready for them to be collected you simply go online and book a time for our courier to come and get them from you or, in the case of the DUTCH test you can send it back first class in the regular post.
Typically, it will take around 1-4 weeks to get your tests back. This is because if a yeast or parasitic infection is found, the technicians will grow the culture and try out different foods and pharmaceuticals on it to see what is the most effective treatment option to get rid of it. Typically at this stage there are normal foods or supplements you can increase in your diet so that your gut can heal itself without any harsh interventions. However, it is good to know that if you do need pharmaceuticals, we will already know which ones work.
to find out how well you are coping with the level of stress you are under, or if stress hormones are knocking your other hormones out of balance.
This is a very detailed GI Effects Sample Report looking at how your digestive system is functioning.
Biomarkers are grouped and scored in 5 key areas relating to GI function:
- Metabolite Imbalance
In each of these 5 categories, your body is ranked 1-10 on whether there is a low need for support, a moderate need or a high need for support right away. Once I have the results I will be able to give you information on how you can use specific foods as your medicine to improve any imbalances.
This excellent and very detailed report indicates whether you have the right nutrients in your body for the cells to function at their best and for you to have the energy you need. It also looks at oxidative stress which is the ageing process, not just in your appearance, but inside your body as well. This video explains it very clearly. You will see that there are add-ons to the tes. I have chosen to include the finger prick test for organic acids, but if you want the genomic tests done, please contact me before placing yur order.
What happens in the Consultation?
A Functional Medicine consultation is very different from what you may be used to with a conventional doctor, even if you have private medical care.
Prior to our very first 1:1 I will send you some very detailed questionnaires to complete that do not just ask you about syptoms and illness, but also about major life events (good and bad), nutrition as you were growing up, maternal and paternal health and much more. This only needs to be done once but can be updated at any time that we are working together.
Prior to our session, I will spend quite some time putting together your Functional Medicine Timeline. This will show us what the trends are in your health and also what the triggers and mediators are for your symptoms. This is the crucial difference between functional medicine and conventional medicine – we look for root causes and treat the systems of the body that are out of balance because a dysfunction in one system can lead to a myriad of symptoms.
Advantages of having this Checkup now
- Non-invasive which means that no blood draw is needed. For this annual review we only require saliva, urine and stool samples.
- The testing kits are sent to you at home for your convenience, then collected by courier when you are ready.
- Identify trends year-on-year by creating a functional medicine timeline to see what has got you to this point in your health journey, then adding to the timeline each year giving you continuity of care and giving us the ability to spot ‘trends’ in your health with a view to identify potential warning signs early.
- An in-depth review of the lab results combined with the findings of the functional medicine timeline to help you fully understand the effect of your lifestyle on your health and make manageable modifications before chronic health problems develop or worsen.
- I have a state-of-the-art medical records system that links with the latest research into Covid-19 and the various mutations. If at any point you develop or are found to have 3 or more of the risk factors for contracting Covid-19, I will proactively get in touch with you to let you know what you can do to boost your immune system naturally to lessen the risk. As you will be aware, research is emerging on a daily basis so it could be that the risk factors change over the coming months, but because you will already be a client on my system, I will be able to reach out to you right away because I believe that prevention is always better than cure. Please note, however, that any recommendaitons I make will be about natural solutions and I will not be drawn on whether or not you should have any of the vaccinations. That is a matter of personal choice. 🙂
How to book your annual health checkup
- Click the link below to purchase your annual health check. (Note: one is for ladies, the other for men because of the intake questions you will need to answer)
- Book a date in for your first 1:1 consultation on the next page.
- Your Healthie account will be created and can now be used as our secure way of sharing your health information.
- The gut testing kits will be delivered to your home address from Genova Diagnostics with clear instructions. If you have any questions you can contact Simone Buehner via that health portal chat facility.
- Once you have provided the specimens, you will be able to book our courier to come and collect them at no cost to you. The DUTCH test can be sent back to BioLab using the normal postal service.
- You will be contacted through the Healthie platform as soon as we are notified by the lab that your results are available.
- Lab results will be uploaded to your profile for you to look at prior to our Lab Review consultation.